Search This Blog

Sunday, September 15, 2013

GNS3 For Fun and Profit!

As some of you already know I am practicing for the CCNA Security. I made this topology for my own reference but I thought I should share it with everyone. Another goal of mine is to demonstrate the power of GNS3. This is my approach to a hybrid physical/virtual lab environment in GNS3. In preparation for the CCNA Security exam, I am going through the lab manual that is part of the Cisco Network Academy Curriculum. For the Chapter 9 lab in particular, part of the requirements for this lab is to perform spanning-tree and port security which simply cannot be done (even with the EtherSwitch) in GNS3. GNS3 cannot emulate layer 2 switches due to the complexity of emulating an ASIC chip. However, GNS3 does support routers which you can install a switch line card for layer 2 features. Despite having support for a layer 2 switch line card, many layer 2 features are not supported, such as: port security, Multiple Spanning Tree, Rapid Spanning Tree, and STP enhancements and more. With this limitation in mind, I decided to buy a couple 2960 Catalyst switches and then connect them both to a physical router. I won't explain the wiring as you can just look at my GNS3 topology below.
 


Logically, this design functions in GNS3 per the specifications detailed in the original lab topology. For reference, here is the original topology from the lab manual:

There are multiple ways to setup a lab like this. One way is to connect each device  (like illustrated above) to a separate NIC (I actually bought some USB Ethernet NIC's for this purpose). Another method is to use a "breakout switch." With a breakout switch you connect each physical device to a different switch port and assign to a separate vlan. You can then trunk the connections to the NIC on your pc/server (provided the NIC installed supports 802.1q trunking).

An example of a breakout switch design can be found here. In a subsequent post, I might illustrate a hybrid topology with the "breakout switch" design.

I can also combine my physical equipment with virtualized appliances like a Cisco PIX, ASA, and/or IDS. GNS3 even supports Juniper virtualization. GNS3 also has direct integration into Virtual Box. You can also do some neat stuff in VMware using a design as my topology above. All in all, the possibilities with GNS3 are virtually (no pun intended) endless. It's really neat stuff.

My end goal is to make a CCIE hybrid/virtual topology. This is only a stepping stone. I am also going to create another topology using Juniper/Cisco equipment in a physical/virtual environment.

Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below.

8 comments:

  1. This information is impressive..I am inspired with your post writing style & how continuously you describe this topic. After reading your post,thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel happy about it and I love learning more about this topic
    SAP ABAP Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  2. This idea is mind blowing. I think everyone should know such information like you have described on this post. Thank you for sharing this explanation.Your final conclusion was good. We are sowing seeds and need to be patiently wait till it blossoms.
    Hadoop Training in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever we gathered information from the blogs, we should implement that in practically then only we can understand that exact thing clearly, but it’s no need to do it, because you have explained the concepts very well. It was crystal clear, keep sharing..!!
    seo company in india
    Digital Marketing Company in india

    ReplyDelete
  4. This information is impressive; I am inspired with your post writing style & how continuously you describe this topic. After reading your post, thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel happy about it and I love learning more about this topic..
    seo company in india
    Digital Marketing Company in india

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great articles, first of all Thanks for writing such lovely Post! Earlier I thought that posts are the only most important thing on any blog. But here a Shout me loud found how important other elements are for your blog.Keep update more posts..

    Best Dentists In Chennai

    Smile Designing Dental Clinic In Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Article… I love to read your articles because your writing style is too good, its is very very helpful for all of us and I never get bored while reading your article because, they are becomes a more and more interesting from the starting lines until the end.
    AWS Training in pune
    AWS Online Training

    ReplyDelete
  7. ADM-201 real dumps are collections of practice questions and answers related to the topics covered on the Salesforce Administration Certification Exam. The practice questions range from basic to advanced and cover the topics from the exam blueprint.

    ReplyDelete